Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Friday 22 September 2017

Look, What Can You See?


Guess who this is looking out of the window with her daddy? I've no memory of it of course, because it’s about sixty four years ago. Dad was around thirty one or two, but looks older somehow. Perhaps it’s the bow tie; not something I saw him wear very often in his life. He was clearly trying to get me to focus on something, rather than look at the photographer, and I appear a little bemused.

It’s a shame that light got into the camera and I’ve been unable to enhance this any more to sharpen up the image, which is tiny anyway. I seem to be wearing my best frock (with a good hem to let down as I grew) and baby shoes with buttons. I’m not sure what the top garment is; perhaps a knitted bolero or something similar with short sleeves. On the window ledge is a biscuit barrel. We always had one and it usually contained a mixture of Rich Tea biscuits, Custard Creams and pink wafers. In later years Mum told me she had to stop re-filling it, as Dad was eating too many with his evening cocoa!

I’d probably just learned to walk and was still a bit shaky on my feet; in any case Dad is making sure I don't fall and his arms are encircling me. I may not have a memory of it but it’s how I like to think of my father. He was a very tactile, protective and loving man. He also showed me many things in my life. He had an artist’s eye for detail and encouraged me to observe things before trying to draw or paint them. “Look, what can you see?”  but sadly I didn’t inherit his artistic talents.

For more windows and small children looking out, visit this week’s Sepia Saturday, where our prompt image is young Prince Charles looking out of Buckingham Palace on the occasion of his mother’s coronation.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful photo! You look like your father. Did you after you grew up?

    After I posted mine for this week, I remembered on that I have of my grandmother holding her little son Howard up to look out of the window while my grandfather took a photo of my mother and her sister. Well, windows will come up again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this photo of your dad showing you the world! One of my favorite childhood photos of my dad reading me a bedtime book is also cloudy due to faulty exposure...but the love still comes through, as in your photo here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I actually like the light haze as it gives you both a quality of wonder. Wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whatever you were seeing out that window, it certainly had your attention! What a cutie - and not so bad after you grew up, either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect match for this week's prompt photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, most enjoyable, especially hearing about your clothes and the biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes....he has you safe & engaged there! Actually ,I think the blur adds too the photo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photo. I too like the effect of the light. Lovely memory of your father showing you how to observe the world.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.