Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Friday 14 October 2016

Eye in the Sky



The Eye in the Sky happens to be one of my all-time favourite tracks on one of my favourite albums, by the Alan Parsons Project. It’s a 1980s classic, and hearing it recently meant it popped into my head when I saw this photo below. A recently issued movie of the same name is apparently about drones and terrorism - something far from minds of the writers of the song, who I think were writing about love and betrayal.  Please skip any ad or trailer that may appear before this video, and hang on in for the ride, it’s worth it!


This picture shows my husband’s late sister and brother-in-law, in a capsule of the London Eye, enjoying the panoramic views of London. We know the date exactly as Gill also stored the entrance ticket with her photo; the ticket clearly shows 4th December 2000 and a time of 1.30 in the afternoon. It looks as though it was bright and clear and they would have been able to see for miles- whether they were able to read anyone’s mind -as per the lyrics - I somehow doubt.


You can read about the London Eye’s history by following the link to the Wikipedia article.


Despite the difficulties it seems to have encountered over the years, it appears to be still going strong, and here is my daughter’s snap taken this week on her iPhone, from Charing Cross Station, whilst travelling around London.




Meanwhile, Sepia Saturday this month has us travelling in all directions, even up in the sky.


8 comments:

  1. I must admit I've never been tempted to queue up for a ride on the Eye. On the other hand, I can certainly recommend the view from the Shard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great video - the vision is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am now playing Eye in the Sky again in the car as a result of this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful photograph of the London Eye and the Houses of Parliament. I was intrigued to,guess where the cameraman/woman was, to take such a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again you and I are in sync with our eyes on the sky, albeit with very different approaches. That very futuristic-looking Eye is such a contrast with the very old buildings of London - it almost looks like 2 photos fused together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shot of family on trip on Eye...maybe this is an "official portrait" provided as part of the ride? I have sometimes bought these as a tourist, and sometimes said no thanks. Love the music!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very entertaining post! It looks like fun - being up there in that capsule on the Eye In The Sky seeing such a magnificent view, but I can't do things like that anymore. I used to ride Ferris wheels and the like, but something shifted when I got into my mid-twenties. I'll still hop into a gondola at South Lake Tahoe & ride up to the viewing platform 3000 feet above the lake, but somehow that's different. You're pulled steadily uphill, & move steadily downhill, you don't have to top out over a hump. At least I guess that's it? I'll go, but I still feel uneasy about it till I get out of the capsule on a firm surface.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been on the London Eye twice and admired the great view I was never able to see when I lived in London back in the 80s. The wheel gives London a hip architectural mascot for the 21st century, but I don't think it matches the old traditional ones like the Tower, Big Ben, the Tower Bridge,etc.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.