Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Saturday 25 June 2016

Birthday Lullaby

Go to sleep my baby
Sleep well, safe and sound, 
Sweet dreams are wished upon you,
Dear friends all around.*


Lullaby, and good night, in the skies stars are bright.
May the moon's silvery beams bring you sweet dreams.
Close your eyes now and rest, may these hours be blessed.
'Til the sky's bright with dawn, when you wake with a yawn.

Lullaby, and good night, you are mother's delight.
I'll protect you from harm, and you'll wake in my arms.**



Golden slumbers kiss your eyes,
Smiles awake you when you rise,
Sleep pretty darling, do not cry, 
And I will sing a lullaby.**** 









Happy Birthday today to my hardworking son, who can still sleep anywhere, anytime, at the drop of a hat.  All those lullabies must have done the trick! This special edition of my posts for Sepia Saturday (where we have finally reached Zzzzzzzzzz, in our alphabet countdown) is dedicated to you.



* Traditional lullaby
** One of the several versions of lyrics sung to the tune known as Brahms Lullaby
***Cradle Song, a poem by Thomas Dekker, set to music by Peter Warlock and later used by the Beatles.

14 comments:

  1. Lovely, and thanks for the lullabies, they may come in handy for my grandmotherly duties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday. And thank you Marilyn for choosing the theme images for the last 13 weeks. With the alphabet behind us we now are stepping into the unknown (now where have I heard that phrase before?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect choice all around! Cradle songs, lullabies, nursery rhymes, are a universal and ancient art form used for putting both infants and parent to sleep. Yaaawn...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely then and now post. Beautiful blue eyes in the first photo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sang lullabies to my children just as my grandmother and my Dad sang lullabies to me and my siblings. Their choice of lullabies, however, were a bit different. Grandmother softly sang "Sweet and Low" to us. My Dad sang "Lullaby of Broadway" and used to jazz it up - dancing around the bedroom while he sang, which had us all dancing on our beds. I can still hear my Mom calling up to Dad "Herbie - they'll never get to sleep that way!" Oh, but I loved it when he sang to us like that. Funny, until this moment, I've never thought about it, but my Mom never sang lullabies to us, yet she had been a professional singer? She had a tough upbringing though, so maybe she never had anyone sing lullabies to her, thus didn't know any?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often told stories to kids to get them to sleep. In my childhood home
    my parents gave us "whisky water" when the sand man didn't arrive
    on time. I'm thankful to still have a liver! Hey, that would make a great
    first line for a drinking song! Thanks for all the great prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sang "Schlof Kindli schlof, dr Vatter huetet d'Schof. Nice that Lullaby's are sung in all languages, sometimes just a hummed melody. Lovely Photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You make we wish I had taken pictures of my children when they were sleeping. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a good idea to add the last photo in the set. So I leave your post with a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely collection which just speaks of the peacefulness that sleep brings, both to parents and children who need the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the timeline concept of the sleeping "baby" and the lullaby. I couldn't sing for nuts so my children were deprived...or cared for :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your focus on lullabies. Some of my favourites were "Oh, my baby, my curly headed baby,", a lovely German one "Schlaf mein Prinzlein, schlaf ein", and because I liked the calming melody "Skye boat song and "Row, row the boat".

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.