Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Saturday 20 February 2016

Reflecting on my Past



Christmas 1974 at my future in-laws' house in Lancaster. My husband had just come back from a few weeks away with the RAF and I had just completed my first term’s teaching. We were visiting both sets of parents and we were engaged in the following January, shortly after this picture was taken, and married that July. 

Mid-70s fashion was all about long dresses and big, permed hair. We weren’t going to a ball, or even a Christmas party, just a local pub with a disco, because that’s what you did in those days. 

I loved that mosaic tiled floor and the carved oak hall stand with the vase of holly. I could have cropped the picture, but then those interesting details would have been missed.


For more reflections of the past, join us at Sepia Saturday, to see what other contributors made of the prompt image.




13 comments:

  1. You look absolutely beautiful, (that dress is just stunning I might add too) and the surroundings (very classic) just blend well with your presence. I remember those days of be so nervous about the in-laws.... funny how things are in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the girl I had come back to after going around the World, and to whom I then proposed. That decision seems to have worked out OK so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were going to a party with such a lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look stunning. I hope the blokes at the pub appreciated your elegance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a really great dress & you looked wonderful in it. Would be a perfect concert dress even today. Fitted bodice, princess waist (it appears?), & long puffed sleeves. The 60s for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful photograph of you at a very happy time. I just love your dress. - my colour and my style.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely portrait to go with your memories of the time. Amazing that you got so dressed up just to go to the pub disco.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look lovely and posh! Yes, good to see the entrance hall, the furnishings etc. it is part of the photo and the time. It is a very beautiful photo and memory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful setting. Love the reflection. You look great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for not cropping the photo. It's wonderful just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A perfect photo to choose. The details in a photo's background, both the seen and the hidden, are what makes Sepia Saturday posts so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There were no beauties like you at the pub discos I went too then!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great reflections of a special time in your life.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.