Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Friday 26 February 2016

Ironing is Childsplay


This is how to do the ironing; when you are only two years old and learning so much about life, there’s no need to be bothered about electricity and laundry and all those other things.



Reading Beatrix Potter’s 'The Tale of Mrs Tiggywinkle’* may give some clues of course. This book was a favourite of mine and my daughter (above) as children, but enchanting though the story is, it isn’t very educational as far as this particular domestic chore is concerned.

My Dolls’ House had an iron, visible on the shelf above the kitchen range, and in days gone by that’s how little girls learned, through play, which kitchen equipment did what. You can read more about my Dolls’ House on my other  blog, in ‘Life Below Stairs’.



In the past, and sadly in some countries today, young girls were pressed into domestic service very early, working in laundries or below stairs, or taking on the chores when the mother died.  It was nearly always girls, because it was seen as women’s work, and only recently, in domestic settings, have men taken on the job. I avoid ironing at all costs as there is always something much better I can do with my time. Anyone with a husband who has served in the military of any kind, or worn a uniform, will be blessed, as these chaps always seem to make such a good job of it - aren’t I lucky? And here is my son in training at sixteen, ironing his school uniform.




Join us at Sepia Saturday this week to iron out a few wrinkles.


* Wikimedia via Gutenberg

13 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful doll house. Your daughter is adorable; this is the only age when we should do ironing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories of childhood play. I would have loved that doll's house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder what our next several generations will be like as "girls" and "boys" toys are becoming less identified with genders. There sure has been a long sure road toward equality...but will these household chores ever become men's work? I'm betting when there are robots who do them it might happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I take some responsibility. - and credt - for the first and third pictures, but none for the second. They both bring back fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed playing with miniature versions of household items when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful whimsical hit on this prompt!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well shucks! Your mention of the iron in your dollhouse reminded me I have not only an iron, but an ironing board in my dollhouse but didn't think to use them in my post. Maybe I'll tack them on as an afterthought? As for ironing uniform shirts - I was never so glad when my husband retired from the U.S. Forest Service & I didn't have to iron his uniform shirts anymore, I could've done a jig! He wanted me to remove all the Forest Service patches sewn on the shirts so he could still use them for other things, but I successfully convinced him it would be kinder to donate them to other fellows still working for the outfit who needed additional shirts. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't think of a better way to iron-sitting on a comfy chair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! Hedgehogs must spend a lot of time ironing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the first photo. "Momma makes me work!" And what detail in the doll house, so many things to look at on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my your first old time photo is just simply adorable! Lovely post indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I avoid ironing at all costs, probably why I wear so much lycra! Luckily, despite never having been in the military, Mr FHCS does all the ironing. When he's away on business and I have to do it, the strops that ensue are legendary! I just seem to put creases in!

    Very cute photo, even I can cope with just ironing the board!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.