Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Friday 10 October 2014

Taken For a Ride






Hard to believe that the tiny driver of the ‘stagecoach’ is me in 1958. I found this in my parents’ album with the title “Wells Fargo” underneath. "Tales of Wells Fargo" was a TV series which ran from 1957-1962 and featured lots of stagecoaches and cowboys so I expect that was in my Mum’s mind when she labelled our holiday snaps. This was taken in Prestwick, Scotland, and I appear to be enjoying being perched on top and holding the reins.


Clearly it’s a family thing as this photo of my brother in 1949 shows. This was another family holiday in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. The posters in the background mention Yarmouth Races, but I don’t think my brother was going anywhere fast. I’m not sure of the exact spot where this was taken but it would appear that this was the starting off point for the ride. I expect that there was also someone actually leading the horses on that occasion too.



Well the carriage rides made a nice change from the inevitable ponies and donkey rides on the beach. There are plenty of photos of me and my brother, my Mum and my Dad sitting astride the animals but I’ve tried to match our Sepia Saturday prompt picture as closely as possible and ensure that a stagecoach, carriage, waggon  or cart was involved.




I am hardly visible in this August 1958 photo of another family holiday in Seathorne. My big brother was there to make sure I was all right, but he looks none too sure himself




The oldest picture in my collection is of my great-Aunt Maud (1893-1980) who has featured in several blogposts and indeed this photograph has appeared in the post ‘Where Was Maud?’. It was taken in 1905 at The Missionary Festival, outside the Albert Hall, Nottingham.


Maud is on the front row, partially obscured by the banner. It appears that the children are about to be taken for a ride; there are two men waiting and one is wearing a bowler hat, so that’s as close as I can get to the prompt picture. The men in the prompt appear to be engaging in a little clowning around however, so that is where the similarity ends. There would be no mischief on a Sunday School outing!


Take a ride to this week’s Sepia Saturday and join fellow passengers to see what they made of the prompt.

17 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, funny thing, and Postcardy also mentions Wells, I was going to do a huge spread, my daughter works for Wells Fargo right now! I have to say your first photo really is a blessing, to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if you are the only one of us who actually has a photo of ourselves in a stagecoach!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pix capturing you & your brother in 'charge' of the wagons, but I love the third photo with all the children in the large wagon with the two women looking so stiff & starched beside it. The wagon is finely decorated. In your other post "Where Was Maud", you said the back of the photo mentioned the picture was taken during a festival, but it looks like it might have been part of a parade? Rather than just going for a simple offered ride as part of the festival, the children (& the two women) look like they were meant to be a definite part of the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how the first lady in front of the wagon is standing in that Mary Poppins pose with feet angled out.

    The mini-stage coach must have been fun. It's always a fun thing to pretend to be in control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As far as I know we still have a couple of horse drawn carriages here in Geelong for weddings, etc. Your holiday snaps are lovely. Looking at the Sunday School photo I guess that is not a regular people carrier but a four wheel, no sides dray ? Decorated up for the occasion. Great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am surprised that the Tales of Wells Fargo was broadcast in England. I don't remember watching it myself. I saw parts of some episodes on YouTube when I was looking for stagecoach videos for my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful photograph that Missionary Festival one is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an amazing photo of Maud and the others. I wish I was born in the time of wagons. You are lucky to have experiencing driving a wagon, even if just on a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That final photo is just wonderful.

    Thinking now that I should have gone a different direction and show some wagon photos as I have a number in my collection. Oh Well, another time is sure to arise :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am now feeling that I really missed out in my childhood not watching those Wells Fargo shows. I was deprived to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Three excellent choices for the theme. A reminder too about the usefulness of small wagons drawn by ponies which like small cars and vans today, were once a practical vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I vaguely remember that Wells Fargo series. I don't think I've seen a stagecoach ride at the seaside but the pony and trap rides at Great Yarmouth are familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember Wells Fargo on TV. Love the first photo of you holding the reins - was that mud or sand underfoot? It looks rather a dismal day. The photograph fo aunt Maud is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great collection! The last one is really special, with everyone in their finery and the beautifully decorated carriage. Lovely picture of you on the mini stage coach too - reminds me of pony and trap rides with my mum when we were kids. Still one of her favourite pastimes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Everybody looks beautifully behaved on their outing - definitely no mischief :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the photograph of you driving the little carriage, you look so happy and excited. The young lad leading the pony looks like he'd rather be elsewhere ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that last photo! And you're right, the second gentleman in from the left certainly looks like he's up to no good.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.