Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Sunday 10 August 2014

Broken Promise






Image (by Keith Haring) courtesy of Tess Kincaid at Magpie Tales

Take back this ring I proffer,
There was no real offer
of marriage, of true minds.
Your love altered, was not love,
and proved Time’s fool at last,
There was no ring, except 
around my heart, so now
admit impediment,
take back this ring I proffer,
There was no real offer.

© Marilyn Brindley


Tess at Magpie Tales provided the image prompt for our creative thoughts. The references are to Shakespeare’s Sonnet 116, which was not all it seemed.  



11 comments:

  1. True enough, without a real proposal, see you later alligator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me not to the creation of a true mind, admit impediment...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Take back the offer that wasn't a real deal. Wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your love altered, was not love,
    and proved Time’s fool at last

    True in so many cases. I loved your poetic Mag offer, ring or no!. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good poem. I would have found that a very hard prompt. What impresses me about the picture is the size of the image, not the subject of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully penned ... sonnets are complex, not easy to write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "One ring to rule them all , one ring to bind them "!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful.

    Thanks for coming by to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess if a ring is needed as a reminder of commitment, I guess it never was much of a commitment.
    A gentle but firm statement as only a good poem can deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your take on it and beautifully delivered ~ Eddie :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. There was no ring, except
    around my heart,

    That is cruel! It is most unfortunate sometimes that a situation demands a hard decision. Cannot be helped but for the better! Wonderful write Marilyn!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.