Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Friday 2 May 2014

Another String to His Bow



This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt features dancers with arms outstretched and musical instruments.


The handsome, smiling Greek Cypriot in my pictures matches the theme perfectly as he demonstrates traditional Greek dancing. This was 2001 and whilst on holiday in Cyprus, we discovered this little taverna one night and were amazed when the owner, once he had recovered from the dancing,  took up his violin and serenaded us.





Yes I know we don’t look impressed, but we were, so much so that we went back - several times!


Join other Sepians this week as they celebrated May Day with dances and music.

25 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! I love Greek dancing but actually I have never seen anyone in a cafe do it However they have quite often insisted that we have free food or drink.So kind and hospitable. I like Greeks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the world of dancing!!! Such happy memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A post that really does put a smile on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I could recall my Greek dancing. People tell me I wasn't bad that night in Athens, but all I remember is the retsina hangover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the best of holiday memories. Did he sing and play? And dance? And who looked after the food and drink?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfect matching of the theme. Well done. What lovely memories. Haven't been to Greece yet...one day....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    We love taverns such as these. All checked tablecloths, plenty of delicious home cooked food and, usually some entertainment. This could certainly be a scene from any number of country inns in Hungary too.

    Your violinist looks to be hugely versatile and cheerful. What a good way to spend an evening. No wonder that you went back again and again. We are sure that we should have done exactly the same!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much spirit! How fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The best times are when we happen upon local places like this when travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do look relaxed! That's a wonderful vacation memory, finding a little gem of a place that probably didn't make it into Frommer's.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find it a little embarrassing to be serenaded, though also enjoy it immensely (so can understand the 'not impressed' look on your faces, if that was also your feeling)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a lot of fun and likely the food and beverages were a draw as well. Did he do any of the table dancing, ala Zorba. Nothing like a serenade...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness! I would go back again and again too! Not just because he's quite incredibly handsome to me, but the man has music and dance running through his veins I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't think you look unimpressed at all. I think you look perhaps a little flummoxed at first, and then rather dreamy-eyed! What fun.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure I would enjoy that place too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Of course you went back, just as was his plan. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never been to Cyprus, I hope the food was as good as his playing! Don't forget to throw some (empty) diner plates to the wall, like we say in Holland: shards bring luck (scherven brengen geluk).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great holiday memories to look back on! Did you get on the floor to try the dancing?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think we've ever gone to a restaurant where musicians come to the tables and serenade, or even walk around and do it from a distance. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. George Clooney in A Hat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Melbourne has huge communities of Greek and Cypriot people - it's lots of fun going with friends to their restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That looks like fun. I only remember once having a violinist playing next to a table. I can't remember the restaurant, but remember it was fancy and that I kept thinking "Oh please go away." I was eating and he just kept standing there playing. I smiled and nodded and tried to avoid making eye contact while I jammed food into my mouth.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.