Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Sunday 16 September 2012

Happy Anniversary




© Marilyn Brindley


The image is 'Venus and a Sailor' 1925 by Salvador Dali. Tess Kincaid provided it as this week's creative writing prompt in 'The Mag'. Dali's idea of Venus is nothing like mine. To me this is a middle aged couple enjoying an Argentine Tango, whilst they still can. To see how seriously other contributors to The Mag took this prompt, put on your dancing shoes and waltz over to Tess's blog.

21 comments:

  1. Hello Marilyn:
    It is so good to feel that the passion does not go, it merely changes into a different form. We like your interpretation of the couple and what might be being said between them. As you say, rather more the middle aged ballroom dancers than the Venus in the first flush of romance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the smile this ditty brought to my face! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. smiles...pretty cool..to still be doing the dace after 40 years...now that is a feat for many...i like this...i would like to think love just changes a bit as well age but does not go away...

    ReplyDelete
  4. To stay in love for many years takes a lot of hard work, so many people tend to think it's so easy and, many are not really prepared for the long haul of actually working to keep their love alive. This is a treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely. My husband and I celebrate 14 yrs. on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can hear the tango music now...
    Great presentation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love kept alive on an anniversary! How very nice, Little Nell!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  8. The perfect gift ~~ cheers to many more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Clever, impressive and rather moving...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was so surprised to read that you have no nasturtiums that I had to come see where you lived because seem to be everywhere in contiguous America, even if only in pots. It's funny that things a person will miss that she or he never thought about missing before moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we have them here, but I just haven't seen any .We have so many beautiful flowers that perhaps they've been overshadowed. Any body reading this conversation an wondering why we're discussing nasturtiums instead of poetry, it's because of a comment I left on another blog.

      Delete
  11. Dancing couples rarely need psychiatrists.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely verse - and oh, so true. Thank goodness for the Anniversary Waltz;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful Marilyn. It brought a huge smile to my face as I read the words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Definitely adore this pair...how lucky can you get? Perfect, charming...

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so romantic and lively- after all these years we too still dance!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely and romantic poem of love. The reference to Strickly Ballroom sets the stage and picturing them locked in smouldering passion, along with the hand written note is very sensual as they tango the night away!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here's to romance and the tango!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.