Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Sunday 1 April 2012

April Fool

Image: Parke Harrison

The first day of April,
All Fools Day,
and the joke's on me.
You arrived in a Summer storm,
sustained me through the mists of Autumn,
Warmed me all Winter long.
Now that Spring is here,
I thought we'd settle down,
but you changed your tune.
You'd feathered your own nest;
you threw me out,
and put another in my place. 
The first day of April,
All Fools Day,
but the only fool is me.
© Marilyn Brindley


Linking to The Mag 111 with Tess at Magpie Tales





29 comments:

  1. he does seem like a fool!! very appropriate for the day.

    in the dragon's nest

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the theme...poor April Fools:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh...and i hope the punch line you get is that it was a joke and not the jolt to your heart....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good write, clever word-play and as Brian said, hope it's only fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear! Feelings we've all experienced so marvelously synched to prompt and season (and calendar.) Take care, K.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd sue him for half the nest...
    ;)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
  7. awww... I hope this is all poetic license and not for real or, it would be a very sad tale indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ouch! This is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is sometimes like that... ...damn nest featherers!

    (Loved it!)

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sad poem, but the image is quite beautiful, though also in a sad way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a clever piece..well rid of him, I'd say!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfectly formed, like a crisp, well-constructed nest.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed this take on the prompt. Angry but regretful and accepting of the fact all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh sad...I hope this is only fiction...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Classic! "You'd feathered your own nest." Love it! Been there; done that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ..but spring is the fresh start for all...time to make a new nest ...xx thanks for your visit over to mine and glad you liked our 'new' little chap...

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so sad, but i very much enjoyed reading it hun Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hilarious, Little Nell! Anything can happen on April 01!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious Hank? As in 'laughed so hard she cried'?

      Delete
  19. " every time i try to leave her, i always stagger back again"- Eddie Vedder, Hard Sun.
    Cycles and seasons, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, Nell, I don't know for sure what you were referring to, but it made me sad. People are not refuse, though sometimes they are treated as so. Your poetry is awesome, that is one thing that I don't know how to do yet. Love that picture too; that nest isn't empty any longer!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  21. A poignant poem. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very intersting tale of being left behind...I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. the fool is the one who left....

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nice variation on a theme here... :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sometimes people substitute out of boredom- " more, better, different"
    only to realize their mistake later! thanks-

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well, that's an unfortunate Spring clean that is, but she'll look back one day and click on as to whom the real fool actually was. Nice poem, Nell. The incorporation of 1st April was a pleasant and witty added touch!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.