Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Tuesday 7 February 2012

The Unquiet Grave

Novodovichy grave, Moscow

Cupped hands uplifted
make an offering to some god unknown.
A sacrifice to lost promise.

Piercing the tranquility 
of this resting place,
the offering's razor edge.
A shard of broken dream.

Beseeching silently
to take the proferred gift,
the blood red splinter.
A shattered heart.

© Marilyn Brindley


Taking part in ‘The Mag, number 103. This is a haunting ballad by Kate Rusby. 


15 comments:

  1. Very interesting picture - great poem, made me stop and think.
    Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this - so many vivid images and it really hits you in the gut.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is good Little Nell - last stanza a work of art!

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  4. shard of broken dream
    blood red splinter

    Strong images for me.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the piercing soundscape adds dimension to the eerie atmosphere you have created here. Thank you for sharing this, Little Nell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree, that last few lines...wonderful..x

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so deep, and to hear this lovely voice along with it....very sincere...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the hands are indeed 'unquiet' and the poem certainly captures that with elegance!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A Perfect blend of music prose & image.I am kicking myself! Kate played Hebden Bridge recently & I missed her!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cut glass poetry - you can feel the sharpness of the edges, just like you should be able to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing, there's a certain zing about it and it packs a punch as well. I adore accompanying video's, too. It's always pleasing (and intriguing) to come across fitting music with posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've caught the cut and thrust of broken relationships...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the 'splinter' of the ehart.

    So beautiful.

    The Collage Pirate

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.