Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Monday 27 February 2012

Andy Warhol Goes Shopping


Warhol at the Grocery Store. Bob Edelman 1962


He saw the rows of gleaming soups,
between baked beans and spaghetti hoops.
He'd only come to buy the beer,
but the tinned goods aisle was very near.
The paper towels would come in handy;
an impulse buy, but that was Andy
“Bring some cans, let's have a party!”
To Andy that meant something arty.
He piled the soups in his shopping cart,
and turned them into works of art.

© Marilyn Brindley


Taking part in Mag 106 with Tess at Willow Manor. See how others interpreted the photograph

22 comments:

  1. Excellent! I just love "but that was Andy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I've met people who have his art work hanging in their houses...even one of my closest friends! Yes indeed a can of soup, really?!!! I attended one of his showings at an art museum here...that was exciting...but I really don't need to buy his stuff...one can just open their cupboards and dream right?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely little ditty!
    Somebody was feeling witty! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed your rhyme ... nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turn them into works of art, he did. Why didn't we think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "but that was Andy" Excellent take on the image!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good rhythm and flow to your verse.
    And it's fun, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. smiles....he saw what we saw only made us see it different...

    ReplyDelete
  9. looking at something ordinary and seeing something different is inspired...loved your poem..brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness that cheered me up - thanks! Thanks for your kindness too.

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so fun to read... I really enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed this little poem :o) Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like Andy's art... your artistic poem pops. A clever composition, Little Nell. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. a witty little ditty, appropo of a Warhol or a Mitty!
    rel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Andy sure knows what he wants!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fun romp!
    My sort of poetry!
    Actually the shelves themselves could be a work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You captured the magic of Andy in a succinct and fun tribute! Makes me smile indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I Guess He Would Need All That Toilet Tissue After Eating So Many Tinned Goods...........?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.