Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Saturday 29 October 2011

Chain Reaction

Carmi, of Written.inc, challenged us to find anything made of metal for this week’s thematic photographic. I had nothing to be proud of in my albums so I took my camera for a walk around Playa Blanca, Lanzarote, where I live, in the beautiful Canary Islands. I captured an ‘embarrasment of riches‘ and had to choose which ones would go on this post. In the end I decided to lead with a chain theme and then ‘link’ it to other metallic objects!

 We went down to the Marina Rubicon and of course the chain fencing was all along the edge of the walkway to remind us of the dangers of standing too close to the water’s edge.



The Marina has many chic boutiques, but they close at 2.00 p.m. for siesta regardless of whether I am standing there ready to part with my cash for a new handbag (as I was!). I’d have to come back at 5.00 p.m. - lost sale! The chains on the handles inside the shop were just to make sure I didn’t let my frustration get the  better of me and break down the door!

So, suitably thwarted, we walked around the Marina clicking away at anything which had a metallic glint in its eye. This is the edited version.


And, just to complete the chain, I have to post this. I couldn’t believe it when Karen put her camel  on Monday’s post. That very day I took this shot whilst watching the local camels who were wending their way back to their stables from Timanfaya, in the National Park.




7 comments:

  1. That is one hefty chain! The railing, not the one on the door. Great set of pictures, the light fixtures are something I'd put on my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. really fasinating post,keep visiting my blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delightful set of photos! The first one stopped me in my tracks: I have a thing for chains :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need music with this post, Nell. I suggest 'Unchained Melody.'
    Some chain round the harbour and that's a great post box.
    I shall have to look for things metallic the next time I'm in town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your metal pics. The chain is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loads of fabulous metal there Nell. It is the patina of the metal and the geometric satisfying shape that make chain photos so wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this is a marvelous post! thanks for bringing it to my attention, as I did miss it! ..Trying to play catch up here...but so happy to see your darling camel! (I just adore these lively creatures of joy) and yours really does have a tight bit of metal about his poor nose! Oh my! Thanks for the mention too! This post as all your pictures always seem to make my day! thanks ever so much!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.