Welcome to my blog, where I take pleasure in words and pictures, be they my own or those of others. I'm a creative individual, and the crafty side I explore on my 'other blog', Picking Up The Threads, which I hope you'll visit too. I'm sure you understand that I have sole copyright of my original work and any of my contributions, so please ask if you want to use them. A polite request is rarely refused. So, as they used to say on the BBC's 'Listen With Mother' radio programme, many years ago: "Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin."

Tuesday 26 July 2011

Grand Designs

For his Thematic Photography No 155, Carmi set a challenge this week of ‘Big’, so plenty of scope there! I decided to go for grand designs; both man-made and natural. I make no apology for again featuring one of my favourite buildings, in the city where I lived until fairly recently.
Salisbury Cathedral has the tallest spire in Britain and for facts and figures about this magnificent structure, you can refer to my previous post: ‘Aspiring to Greatness’ where you will also see the cathedral silhouetted in the dawn.
Here are two new views taken on a recent return trip. A view across the Water Meadows, which would have been familiar to the painter John Constable.

For contrast here is a big plant which sprang up in our garden, here in Lanzarote, recently from the centre of this agave. Nicknamed ‘The Triffid’ it grew daily with astonishing rapidity.
 OK I am not a very tall lady but it was still impressive! Then it produced these giant seedheads.
So we were delighted when sparrows flocked to it every day at 'sparrow tea-time’ and ripped it to shreds. It’s certainly the biggest bird-feeder we’ve ever had in our garden.


If you want to see more pictures by others thinking big go to Carmi’s written.inc blog.

10 comments:

  1. The sparrows remind me of the little boys in the tree in Ponnelle's 1975 film of Carmina Burana

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sheep and lambs in the foreground make Salisbury even more impressive. I also wonder how many plant will grow as a result of those seed heads. Sparrows are always big opportunists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ashamed to say that I don't think I have ever been to Salisbury and your fine photographs remind me that I must visit there soon. As for you "bird feeder", I wonder if a similar thing would grow on the slopes of the Pennines? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob, I have to make the most of the sparrows when they visit; no blue-tits or robins here. We do get hoopoes though and the occasional grey shrike - oh and seagulls circling overhead.

    Alan, do visit Salisbury, you will not be disappointed. I have to agree that there is very little likelihood of that natural birdfeeder growing in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great selection for the theme!. i love the architecture in Europe... especially the churches. even tho the first one is far away, i can make out some of the detail... thanks for your comment on mine..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh such beautiful BIG and so significantly awesome, with the sheep grazing to make the building and scenery picture perfect! Great nature focus and abundantly BIG in beauty too! Great TP! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovng the Salisbury Cathedral piccy...spent many happy hours there :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. From A Distance, Salisbury Cathedral looks like a rocket ship!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful building. And the birds in the bush is a fantastic picture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE how you framed the cathedral with foreground detail. Stunning composition, and a perfect addition to this week's theme.

    Day of the Triffids was one of my favorite childhood reads. It scared the dickens out of me! Your photos brought the book right back...time to read it again!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.